With the holiday season having just ended, everyone seems to be on their last straw. No more energy is left and everyone just dreads the feeling of going back to work and their normal, daily routines. This can often lead to people feeling stressed, depressed, even just down in the dumps, but realizing this and working to prevent it will help put a stop to it sooner than normal. That’s where self-care comes in! Being able to listen to your body and mind and knowing when you’re not okay is key when taking care of yourself. When I find myself in some of these moods, here are some things I do or use to take care of myself!
- Take a Bath – So, normally people are in a rush to bathe themselves, taking as little time as possible as they would rather be spending their time doing something else ( I would know, I’m guilty of this occasionally). However, I have found that taking a nice, relaxing bath, when I have time, is a great way to relieve stress and to just take a break. Optional: To make the bath even better, add a bath bomb. My favorite ones are from Lush and each one has a different, relaxing aroma!
- Write – Okay so I know that many people really aren’t the “writing type” but this can even be just as simple as writing your thoughts down. I have found that if I have a million thoughts racing through my mind, just writing them down helps me to feel like I have more control over my life and what is going on around me. This way, I am able to prioritize and I then feel like I am spending my time more wisely. For those that love to write, when you have time, sit down and just write. Doesn’t matter the topic, just take time to do what you love to do and what you’re good at.
- Don’t Skip Self-Care Routines – I have found myself falling victim to this one many times, especially recently. In the past months at college, I found myself becoming lazy and not washing my face everyday, sometimes falling asleep with my makeup on, not taking the breaks for myself that I needed, etc. In doing this, I felt very (I don’t know how to word this) “eh.” Even though I am guilty of doing this sometimes, I can honestly say that by taking the little extra time to take care of myself and do these things, I feel so much better.
- Stop Overthinking – Alright so this is another that I do literally all the time but I feel it’s just human nature… or at least maybe female nature? I don’t know but whatever it is, it’s harmful to do. By spending your time overanalyzing your life, wishing you had things that you don’t, etc., it takes time away from you actually going out and working towards those goals. Instead of wasting your time wishing your life was different, use that time to go out and change it! You’ll be surprised at the results you achieve.
- Spend Time with Friends – So in some cases, if friends are the ones causing the problem, this may not be the best solution but most of the time, spending time with friends is a great way to relieve stress and just relax! Just recently I had a girls night in with some of my closest friends and I can honestly say it was one of the best nights I’ve had in awhile! Take time to hangout with friends as I’m sure it not only benefits you, but them too!
I could go on and on about the importance of taking care of yourself and steps you can take! However, it ultimately comes down to the individual and what is best for them. Being able to listen to yourself and take time when you need it is so important to leading an utmost happy life. Remember to do this, and you’ll start realizing positive changes in no time!